Home Business Tax Homepage

Small Business Tax Deductions

Business Tax Returns

Business Tax Software

Taxes And Businesses


Business Tax Filing

Business Tax Rate

Business Tax Credits

Self Employment Tax


Online Business Taxes

Business Tax Preparation

Business Tax Deductions

Business Tax Planning


Small Business Taxes

Business Tax Id

Business Tax Help

Home Business Tax


Business Tax Forms

Franchise Tax

Corporate Tax

Small Business Tax Services


TurboTax US

TurboTax Canada

Online Tax ID Number Application

Home Business Tax Homepage

Powerful home business tax information

Get your biggest tax refund, guaranteed. Plus FREE Expert Tax Advice. Download TurboTax® for Windows now.

Can i separate home business taxes from my regualar job taxes?

Question: Can i separate home business taxes from my regualar job taxes?

(Posted by: andietom on 2008-07-22 22:31:25)

I have started a party type home business. I also have a regular job w/ taxes being held out. Can I file my income taxes on my regular job and then file separate taxes for my business? If so, do I need a business tax id #?


Posted by: polly w on 2008-07-22, 22:50:31

I work and have a home based type business (party plan) and do pretty well with it, as well as my regular “day job ” which I have had to cut back on hours because the home business is doing so well. I file together, using a schedule SE for my home business to take the deductions out such as mileage (a HUGE deductions) airfare and hotel for training events, and usually after the mileage is calculated I wind up owing nothing on my home based business. I also deduct postage and advertising expenses, and office supplies, demo products, and any losses such as damaged or broken items–I write them off. I do travel quite a distance to do my parties, several times a week. You cannot deduct clothing or dining expenses, or “fluff ” your deductions, it will set off a big red flag, so be very careful that you only deduct what you actually can legally.


Posted by: Steve D on 2008-07-22, 22:37:57

Assuming you are operating as a sole proprietorship, you should file both incomes together. However, if you are a sole proprietorship, the income flows through to you as regular income and you will need to pay Social Security taxes on the income, unless you are over the income limit on your day job. Don’t forget you may be able to take deductions for office space used in your home for the business as well as deduct certain expenses (travel, supplies, etc.). If the business is successful, you probably need to hire an accountant.


Posted by: v b on 2008-07-22, 23:40:51

Unless you are a C corporation, all of the income eventually gets to your 1040, so the tax bill will be based on your combine income from both W-2 job and the business income. If you are a “sole proprietor ” and do not have employees, you do NOT need an EIN.


Posted by: Judy on 2008-07-22, 23:52:23

Assuming that your home business is not incorporated, you must file one return showing your income from your job and also your income from your home business.


Powered by Yahoo! Answers®

Back to Previous page

Payroll outsourcing. Trusted by over 500K U.S. businesses. Get a free quote at Paychex® today!


Bookmark Home Business Tax Homepage

Sitemap | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact

© copyright 2011-2012 BusinessTaxFiling.net, All Rights Reserved.

Legal Notice: This website is powered by Amazon®, Adsense™, Yahoo!® Answers and Youtube™. All trademarks are copyrighted by their respective owners. Please read our terms of use and privacy policy.